Deep Dish Skillet Pizza
|Share on Facebook
|Share on Twitter
|Print the Recipe
Deep Dish Skillet Pizza
This Deep Dish Skillet Pizza recipe will bring the iconic dish of the Windy City into your home with a bang. Playing up the town’s love of sausage, this pan-pizza includes slices of Italian sausage, onions and peppers. Comforting, filling, and downright delicious, this iconic pie is a recipe that you’ll be coming back to over and over again. Feel free to change up the toppings, too!
For the Pizza Dough
- 1 packet (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for bowl and brushing
- 2 tablespoons butter, to grease the skillet
- 1 lb italian sausage
- 1 small red onion
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 cups marinara
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic
- Fresh oregano
For the Toppings
1. To make the Deep Dish Skillet Pizza, begin by making the pizza dough. Pour ¾ cup of water into a microwave safe bowl and heat in 15 second increments until the water is 110 degrees. Sprinkle the packet of yeast over the warm water and let sit until it’s frothed (5 or so minutes).
2. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, sugar, and garlic powder. Stir in the olive oil, followed by the yeast mixture when it’s ready. Stir until a sticky dough forms and turn out on a floured work surface. Knead the dough for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour to the countertop as needed.
3. Return the dough to the mixing bowl and brush some olive oil over the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter for about an hour, or until the dough has doubled in size.
4. While the dough is rising, assemble your toppings: julienne the onion and pepper into thin strips, mince the garlic cloves, measure out the marinara and cheeses, and remove the sausages from their casings. Crumble the sausage into small pieces into a large skillet and brown the sausage over medium heat for 6 – 8 minutes. Transfer the sausage crumbles to a plate lined with paper towels.
5. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees when the dough is close to being ready. When the dough has doubled in size, punch it down and return it to a lightly floured countertop. Use your hands or a rolling pin to make a 14-inch round. Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet with the butter and drape the dough over the skillet. Press the dough down to line the bottom of the skillet and two inches up the sides.
6. Assemble the pie in this order: sausage first, then the peppers, onions, and garlic, then the mozzarella, then the marinara, and finally top with the shaved Parmesan. Feel free to drizzle a little bit of olive oil on top as well. Transfer to the oven, bake for 30 minutes and then check it. It may need another 5 – 10 minutes, but it’s ready when the crust is a deep golden brown. Allow to cool for a few minutes before handling. Serve warm.