Hearty Beef Stew
Serves 6 – 8
2 and a half hours
|Share on Facebook|
|Share on Twitter|
|Download the Recipe|
Hearty Beef Stew
When it’s cold outside, for my money there is little better than a hearty beef stew. Throw in some toasted sour dough bread and we’re bordering on last meal territory. Open a bottle of red, give half of it to the stew, half of it to yourself and sit back and let the magic unfold. Give yourself the gift of beef stew, you deserve it.
- 3 lbs. stew beef (or half beef, half pork), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into half-inch cubes
- 2 larges carrots, peeled and sliced into rings
- 3 ribs of celery, diced
- 1 16 oz. bag of frozen pearl onions, thawed (or fresh if you can get them)
- 1 12 oz. bag of frozen sweet peas, thawed
- 2 cups red wine, pinot noir or shiraz recommended
- 2 36 oz. containers of beef stock
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 Tbsp of dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Take ½ cup of the flour and put into a shallow dish, reserving ¼ cup for later. Coat the cubes of stew beef in the flour and dust off to remove any excess flour. Working in batches, sear all sides of the beef in a hot dutch oven over high heat. Set seared cubes aside.
2. Reduce heat and melt butter. Add garlic and remaining flour to the butter and cook on low for 3 minutes, being careful not to burn either. Deglaze the pan with the red wine, scraping the bottom of the pan for any bits.
3. Add beef stock, thyme, bay leaves, and crushed red pepper. Bring to boil.
4. Add beef, cover, and reduce to simmer over medium-low heat. Stew beef for one hour.
5. Uncover and bring heat to medium, allowing cooking liquid to reduce for 30 minutes.
6. Add potatoes and pearl onions, cook for 10 minutes. Add carrots and celery, cook for another 10 minutes. Finish with the sweet peas and allow stew to finish cooking for another 5 minutes or until all vegetables are at your preferred softness.
7. Spoon into bowl and serve with crusty buttered toast.